A while ago I started on what has turned out to be the long process of making everything I do available via IPv6. This evening I'm as far as I can go!
My initial problem was in getting a working IPv6 connection to my servers. I purchased a Cisco 1721 via eBay, and upgraded it with extra RAM and an interface card for ADSL. That, though, turned out to be the easy part of the process.
Cisco routers like the 1721 use Cisco IOS as their operating system and though there are a number of sites online which have information about scripting the connections they aren't actually, well, 'complete'. In the end I was using guidance from New Zealand, Canada, and many other places to get some semblance of the right code to make it work.
Except it didn't.
Nothing would squeeze through my pipe, neither IPv4 nor IPv6. Eventually, one evening I decided on a 'do or die' approach (or rather 'stay awake until done, no matter how long it takes') and managed to find some useful assistance from a tech support bod at one of my ISPs who tested from his end as I was testing from mine. In the end we had that sort of breakthrough like they had when digging the channel tunnel as suddenly the floodgates opened and traffic was passing this way and that.
But the next step was getting the various DNS services I make use of to have operating AAAA records so that my newly-IPv6'able websites could be reached. In two cases this required me asking the registrars to actually support IPv6 records (and I'm still waiting on one of them). Then, once I allocated all the addresses I needed I had to go through and update the host records for all the different sites and sub-sites. Which was a few more than I had thought it was. Over a hundred, in fact. But about 30 minutes ago that task too was complete and, as far as I can tell, they are all working just fine now, whether being accessed the 'old-fashioned' IPv4 way, or via the 'new-fangled' IPv6.
And most people will have absolutely no idea that anything has changed! Ah, the joys of being a tech geek.